Judah's 4th Year

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Audrey's 2nd year

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, April 2, 2012

The New Fronteir...No More Diapers!

So my precious firstborn has finally crossed over to the world of underwear!  We have been "flirting" with potty training for the last few months.  I never wanted to force it and really wanted him to direct it and let me know when he was ready.  When he became curious about the toilet, we talked to him about going potty like a big boy and basically when he wanted to, we would let him sit on it and "try".  Then as the weeks went on, he would try some days and other days show no interest. We thought we'd try to build his interest by letting him pick out some big boy underwear.  Of course, he picked out Spiderman underwear and he was pretty excited about them!  Here he is with daddy at the store picking them out in the beginning of January.



He came home so excited to wear them, that I got a day or two out of him being motivated to wear them and try the potty, then he decided he just wanted to wear his diapers.  So, we would have some days where he wanted to try and then go for days or even a week or two, where he had no interest.  Although, he was becoming more and more consistent with choosing to go "number 2" on the potty most of the time.

Everyone said that kids will decide when they are ready, and that moment finally came for us last Wednesday.  He woke up and said he wanted to wear his underwear, so he went potty and put them on.  I set the oven timer to go off every 30 minutes (like I always did on days he would try the underwear "thing"), but this time it was different.  In the past weeks, when the timer would go off, I would have to tell him to go use the potty and sometimes he would and other times he would say he didn't want to, and just wanted to go back to diapers.  Well, on this monumental day, every time the timer went off, I would hear him say "Time to go potty!" and he would run in there on his own to go.  Not once did I have to ask him to go.  He made it from the time he woke up till bedtime that night without one accident!!

So, I asked him if he would like to try and wear his underwear at school the next day and what that meant...that he would have to use the potty there like a big boy.  For the first time he decided he wanted to wear the big boy underwear to school instead of diapers.  So, I sent him to school in underwear, with an extra change of clothes "just in case."  He made it the entire day there without an accident as well!  His teacher texted me halfway through the day and said that she had to switch from giving him gummy bears to crackers when he went, because he was doing so good and getting so many of them!

Since then he has worn underwear every day since.  He has only had twice where he "leaked" a little amount and then ran to the bathroom on his own.  I still remind him to go every so often, but I think we have crossed over to the land of no diapers.  (At least during the day!)  I still am putting a diaper on him at night, because he sleeps for 11 hours and has yet to wake himself up with a feeling of going.  Still...I'm pretty stoked that we are basically using one diaper a day for nighttime sleep.  Such a big boy.  He is so proud of the fact that he wears underwear now!  We just need to teach him that he doesn't have to show everyone!  :-)

He turns 3 years old in exactly one month, so technically I can say Judah was potty trained at 2 years old.  What's a few months.  Okay, 11 months... but who's counting! :-)

No comments: