Judah's 4th Year

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Audrey's 2nd year

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, November 3, 2008

13 weeks and the 2nd TRIMESTER!!!

I AM FINALLY IN THE 2nd TRIMESTER!!!!!! I was officially 13 weeks on Sunday and next week when I'm 14 weeks, I will get to go back to the doctor and have another Ultra Sound. I can't wait to see how much the baby has grown!

This week the baby is the size of an egg...



Basically at this point, the baby is perfectly formed and human in appearance. Now it's just a matter of the baby getting bigger and the systems beginning to function properly! Please continue to pray for our baby and for us as all this development continues!


Here's a look at what the baby is doing this week...



  • The fetus has grown to about 3 inches (8cm) long.

  • Weight approximately 1 ounce (25 grams).

  • Bone is beginning to replace cartilage and the ribs are appearing.

  • The nose and chin are well defined.

  • Movements can be measured.

  • The child will begin to learn to suck its thumb.

  • The child can open and close its mouth.

  • The external genitalia are well defined making it is possible to determine the baby's gender
Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries.

Your baby is now producing insulin the hormone that controls their blood glucose. The fetus is now 3 inches long and weighs about an ounce. The baby's unique fingerprints are already in place. The muscles lengthen and become organized. You can't feel it yet, but your baby can move in a jerky fashion, flexing the arms and kicking the legs.

Your uterus has grown quite a bit. You can probably feel its upper edge above the pubic bone in the lowest part of your abdomen, about 4 inches (10cm) below your bellybutton. At 13 weeks, your uterus fills your pelvis and starts growing upward into your abdomen. It feels like a soft, smooth ball. Soon you will start feeling the first flutters of the unborn child kicking and moving within.


Here's me at 13 weeks...






I have a definite "baby bump" going on, and am having to become creative with my pants. - Maternity pants are just a little too big for me still, but everything else has become too tight. I actually wore my first pair of maternity pants today at work, because I was tired of everything else being so uncomfortable, especially when I sit down. The only problem is, when I walk, these pants are wanting to fall down. At least their comfortable when I sit. Ahh...the joys of being "in-between." :-)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Have you tried the rubber band trick? Get a rubber band and loop it through the button hole of you regular pants, then loop it around the button. Does that make sense? That was a great trick I used for the inbetween stages. You may also want to try a "bella band". You can find them online. If you go the bella band route, go with the actual name brand. I tried both and the name brand one (vs. the Motherhood brand) worked much better. Hope that unsolicited advice helps :)

The Bentley's said...

I have actually done this a couple of times...and yes, it does help. I think that is what I will continue doing for now. Anything that saves money and keeps me from having to buy anything is good! :-)

Jen said...

You are so darn cute, I'm loving following your blog!!! It's so much fun seeing you go through this wonderful time in your life. Personally on the 'in between' stage I had to get my 'fat' pants. I could probably let you borrow my skinny pants that I can't wear though if you like. Love you girl!!!