One of the benefits/byproducts of Nathan being a youth pastor, is unexpected visitors in the middle of the night who leave us special gifts. I must say, kids now-a-days sure have "stepped it up"!! When I was in high school, my friends and I were pretty amazing at tee-peeing. I believe one time we used 80 rolls and it looked like a white Christmas when we finished. Kids today do so much more than just tee-pee. We have had them come and decorate every driveway and sidewalk surface with chalk drawings, had thousands of plastic forks stuck in our front yard, had hundreds of paper hearts placed on sticks all over our yard, had yummy goodies dropped off and impromptu Smores made.
This morning, Nathan went out to his Truck to leave for work and found about 60 goldfish in separate cups lined up on our driveway. That has to be one of the most interesting "gifts" so far! Here are a couple of pictures he took:
About half of the fish did not survive, as their water was pretty cold by the time we found them. Now, I'm not necessarily a fish-person, and I HATE cleaning fish tanks, but I am unable to kill any living thing, so we "rescued" those that were alive. Judah helped us carry in each cup that had a live fish in it. We filled up a bowl with some filtered water and dumped those fish into the bowl.
Judah was pretty excited about these fish, so I figured (by default) he now had his first "pets" for which he could be responsible for feeding each day. So, he and I made a run to the pet store this morning and I was able to find a cheap tank on sale and a few cheap "decorations". When we got home, we put it together and filled it with filtered water....which took a while. Then we added our new pets. (We had a few fish who had died in these couple of hours in the bowl, so they were laid to rest.) We'll see how many more survive, but right now we have around 30 goldfish in our tank.
Judah's pretty excited to feed these guys each day. For now, it's fun to have these little guys and see his joy. I may be singing a different tune the first time I have to clean this tank, but I won't think about that today! :-)


3 comments:
And we did do EXCELLENT TPing jobs :)
We recently aquired some goldfish as well. They were used in church and David heard they were going to get flushed and decided to rescue them. We have a creek right by his house so he figured we would free them, but the boys got attached since they are allergic to dogs and cats this is the only pet they can really have. We probably have the same tank as you and I am sure I will really hate cleaning it, but oh well.
Hilarious! Caeden saw the pics and said, "woah, cool!" :) We got Caeden a goldfish (Mr. Nemo) around Judah's age and Mr. Nemo only lasted 2 weeks... Caeden fed him way too much food. :) Here's to a fun adventure with your new pets. :)
Post a Comment