If you know me at all, you know I LOVE to read. I especially love historical fiction. In older days, sheets were called Bedclothes. I love this. It always gives me a picture of literally you are "dressing" your bed.
A friend of mine gave me great advice when I was pregnant, and I have had many mommies confirm this to me since. She told me to put two layers of sheets on our son's crib, for the time when he will inevitably throw up or have diarrhea in the middle of the night. That way you don't have to re-make the bed in the middle of the night. So, before Judah was born, this is what I did. I put on a waterproof mattress pad, then a regular sheet, then another waterproof mattress pad, and then another sheet. This is how his bed has been made ever since. Well, last night is the first night this preparation came in handy.
Out of nowhere, I woke up at midnight to Judah crying hysterically. I went into find throw up everywhere, and he was inconsolable for a good 30 minutes. (If you know Judah at all, you know that one: he is an excellent sleeper, and two: he has literally never cried inconsolably.) He threw up two more times over the next hour and then finally seemed to calm down. By the end he was just throwing up thick mucous. Which is weird, because he has had no congestion at all.
The only thing we can think, is that I just started giving him Whole Milk as a drink yesterday. He's had milk in small doses, either mixed in his cereal or in forms like yogurt, and chesse, but never Whole Milk as a drink. I've been really leery about starting him on milk, because Nathan's Dad, brother, and to a lesser extent even himself don't do well with milk. I thought it was about time I try it though. So, whether that was the cause of this debacle last night or something else we have yet to determine, I am going to hold off a while longer on cow's milk. Maybe we'll try goats milk or rice milk.
So, to come back to my original thought. The beauty of the "two-sheet" system is that all we had to do last night was strip off the sheets and mattress pad, and had a clean set of sheets below. SO WORTH IT!!! In fact, I wonder if I should do this when he has graduated on to his "big boy bed"?! All that to say, I recommend every mom do this, just as it was recommended to me.
So, we finally got Judah back to sleep at 2am and went back to bed ourselves. (My sweet husband stayed up with us, and cleaned up the floor every time Judah threw up, threw the soiled sheets and clothes in the laundry, and sat with us and read Psalm 91 over our son.) We are both really tired today, but thankful, as Judah slept great the rest of the night (or should I say morning) and seems to be feeling great this morning. Praise the Lord!


2 comments:
I have always done this! Such a great idea, came in handy many times! Sorry about poor Judah. Ick, you know how I feel about barf! Glad he's doing better!
I just caught up with all your happenings, since Judah's birthday. My heart is warmed with all your good news and blessings and I miss you guys. Love you dearly!
Mandy
Post a Comment